Even though there is a lot of discussion about Social Media analytics and leveraging social media data, at present most companies do not optimize all the touch points of social media. People tend to look at social media more as a data source for understanding customer sentiment rather than a platform where companies can initiate and engage their constituents in highly effective conversations. To leverage the value of social media, we feel that companies should focus on the following:
1. Identify all Social Network Connections (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, You Tube etc.). Data mine social media conversations and dialogue and identify customer and consultant sentiments across key attributes – Brand, Products, Price, Direct Selling Opportunities etc.
2. Translate customer sentiment into social and operational strategies.
3. Develop and implement real time and near real time messaging – sales and marketing responses to customer experiences.
4. Optimize branding across all social media access points (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, You Tube etc.)
5. Develop vibrant online communities – facilitate sharing of best practices and brand experiences.
6. Identify primary influencers in social space. Develop marketing and sales strategies targeting the influencers.